Monday, August 6, 2012

We must Push through the Pain in our life, to find the Plan for our life

                                                                     The Great Jimmy Valvano
I remember reading a book many years ago by Dr. Robert Schuller titled “Tough times never last, but tough people do”. Many of you may be familiar with this book?  So just exactly what was Dr. Schuller saying in his great best selling book? What was he trying to tell us? Given the current economic situation, this seemed an interesting book to read or quote to tackle. It reminds us that the tough times come and go. Even if things seem bleak today, in a few years it will likely be very different. The quote then says that tough people do last. It implies that the people who can weather the tough times are sufficiently tough to handle just about anything. I can tell you my friends, I am battle tested and so is my awesome family.

So for me, quitting is not an option, and it should not be an option for you either. We must push through these tough times; we must push through this pain, because at the end of it, there is a rainbow with Gods wonderful plan for your life stapled to it.  Yes, God does have great plans for our life! We were created by God, in His image, for a purpose. Just as God set apart from birth Isaiah 49:1, Jeremiah, Jeremiah 1:5 and Paul Galatians 1:15 for a specific purpose, he also has a specific plan for your life. “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declared the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future’” Jeremiah 29:11. The Bible says that God's will is “good, pleasing and perfect” Romans 12:2.
                                                                   The Holy Bible
Together, the two parts of the quote reminds us that while the difficulties are transient, people are durable. By durable I mean that tough people can persevere, that you can persevere, through anything that you might have to face. Why is perseverance important? When times get tough, you have to push through, you have to press on. You must also realize that the end result may not end up exactly as you have planned, however if you have turned your worries, your woes, and your problems, over to the Lord, what ever they may be, He will see you through it, and you will come out a better person for it. You already have outlasted most of your childhood difficulties, the difficulties of learning to walk, talk, feed yourself, dress yourself and so many others. If you’ve ever known a person who is going through physical therapy to learn how to walk again, or re-learn any other basic skill, you have a clue about how tough it really is. If you haven’t, it is both gut wrenching and glorious at the same time. Our lives are all about us being ordinary people who do extraordinary things. How ever, there must be pain in order for there to be any gain.

Perseverance is the ability to stick with it despite the desire to let go. Some say it is the small voice deep inside you that says “hang on” when the rest of you is screaming to give up. It can be tough to hang on, but that’s what makes you a tough, or durable, person. One who perseveres is one who doesn’t quit when things go against them, or when the odds go from bad to worse. Where and how can I apply this in my life? Perseverance in the face of difficulties is a defining trait of humanity. While not all of us square off against every difficulty in life, most of us are willing to face the challenges that are important to us. I’m not talking about ‘bar room’ challenges, but the truly difficult portions of our lives.  God's will first and foremost, is that we have a relationship with Him through His Son, Jesus Christ.  “This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth” 1 Timothy 2:3-4.
                                     Donnie Bolena's Newest Book Broken www.donniebolena.com


Personally, I face difficulties gladly for two reasons. The first reason is that I don’t usually have any choice about facing the difficulty, so I’d rather do it gladly than reluctantly. The other reason is I like to push to my most extreme limits. Whether it’s learning new skills, reaching a new goal, or pushing my self to achieve a task that most people would not ever attempt, I love the edge as this prepares me for surviving a hardship; therefore I want to see what I’m made of.
                                                                   He Carry's Me Through
I focus on the attitude in my life because I feel it is crucial to perseverance. I Love Zig Ziglar and one of his best quotes is “Our attitude will raise our altitude” If you are reluctant, how do you feel? Say this to yourself: “Oh well, I suppose that if I have to” What is your posture like? Victorious or Defeated? What is your energy like? Are you ready to take it on, or are you ready to lie down and give up? Which is the attitude of perseverance? 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. Perseverance does not mean you always win. I persevered through one part of my life where I lost nearly everything. I ended up divorced and bankrupt. But I persevered. I never gave up. I kept going to work, I kept moving forward with my life as best I could. The tough times didn’t last, but I did. Grab some paper and write down several of the difficulties have you faced in the past. Then write down next to each if you gladly faced these difficulties. If so, why? If not, why not? Write down what your attitude was, both at the beginning and at the end of each of the difficulties.God wants us to be Christ's disciples. This means Christians must be committed to following God's will daily, whatever the cost. “If anyone would come to me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” Luke 9:23. The Bible will help us to know God's will. “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path” Psalm 119:105. God promises to give us wisdom if we just ask Him in prayer, believing that He will give it. Sometimes we need to just ask God to give us wisdom to discern His will. “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him” James 1:5. In Philippians 4:6, God tells us that we can pray about everything. God has given us the Holy Spirit for guidance. “...when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth...” John 16:13. Did you notice a pattern in the instances where you persevered? Was your attitude, especially at the start, a part of what helped you persevere? The handful of people I spoke with found that having a positive attitude was a big factor for them. How about when you didn’t persevere? How was your attitude those times, both at the start and at the end? We should listen to the advice of godly men and women that God has placed in our lives.
                                                                             Perseverance
Many times the advice of a parent, pastor, youth minister, Sunday School teacher or other mature person is just what we need to hear to help us decide what God wants us to do. “The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice” Proverbs 12:15. “Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisors they succeed” Proverbs 15:22. The Bible says that there is a peace that comes when we are pleasing God with our lives. When deciding between two alternatives that you have been praying about, sometimes one of the options will give you a greater peace. That option is probably God's will. “The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever” Isaiah 32:17. We should trust God in faith that He will accomplish His will in our lives. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight” Proverbs 3:5-6. “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in your will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” Philippians 1:6. God has given each of us gifts and abilities to use in His service. God always equips us to do what he calls us to do. If you aren't gifted in a certain area, God is probably not calling you to minister in that area. We learn in the books of Romans 12:6-8, 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 and Ephesians 4:11-13 the lists of spiritual gifts and a discussion of them. Remember that God's ultimate purpose for all of us is that He would be glorified 1 Corinthians 10:31 and that the gospel and God's kingdom would be advanced Genesis 50:20 and Philippians 1:12.
                We must Press on

The question of how to persevere, in my mind, boils down to the question of how to keep a positive attitude. For me, my attitude depends on what I focus on. I have found that if I focus on the difficulty, my attitude tends to go down. I try to focus on the good things that a-wait me, once the tough times are over. I know, it sounds so easy, doesn’t it? But it actually is fairly easy, once you train yourself. I would start small, and any time you get a task, chore or job that you really don’t enjoy like taking out the trash or doing the dishes, practice perseverance. Don’t set your attitude based on the task at hand, but on what you can do after you complete it. If you have a whole list of chores, think of what you’ll do after you’re done. Keep a positive attitude and the task becomes less onerous. Keep the faith, keep a good attitude and keep working hard, and you will persevere. Sometimes, your attitude is all you’ve got. Protect it!
                                                                     We Press for Success
Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is good, taste it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is love, enjoy it. Life is mystery, know it. Life is costly, care for it. Life is wealth, keep it Life is a promise, fulfill it Life is a sorrow, overcome it Life is a song, sing it Life is a struggle, accept it Life is a tragedy, confront it Life is an adventure, dare it Life is chance, take it. Life is precious, do not destroy it. Life is life, fight for it ~ Mother Theresa
                                                                               Mother Theresa With The Reagan's

We must push through the pain in our life, to find the plan for our life these are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. It’s important to also remember when we push that we must keep moving. Don’t allow an empty result to stop or slow your stride. In Rev 3:7-8 you need to move on when you have settled for the way things are. “See, I have placed before you an open door.”  First we need Traditional Vision Matthew 15:3 then we need Timid Vision 2 Timothy 1:7 and last we need Tunnel Vision John 4:34 you must move on when you grow tired of the same struggle.
                                                                              The Struggle of Life
Do not wrestle with something that is futile and going nowhere including relationships “You have little strength yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.” Replenish your strength Psalm 27:14; Isaiah 40:31; 2 Corinthians 4:16; Eph 3:16-17; Jude 20. Renew your strength 1 Samuel 30:1-6 and last Move on when you find yourself stuck in a rut between where you are and where you want to be. Do get complacent like standing water, keep moving, keep your self busy, and stay focused on the prize at hand.  God has made a way for all of us with “An open door that no one can shut.” We learn of overcoming a problem in Exodus 14:15 and claiming a promise in Deuteronomy 6:23 so no matter what you are facing today, rather it is an illness, financial problems, loss of a job, a divorce, a death, or a broken heart, you must find time to focus on you. God can and will use you for His kingdom, and His glory, you must Push through the Pain in your life, to find the Plan for our life ~ Donnie Bolena