Tuesday, August 7, 2012

WHAT IS IMPROTANT TO YOU

                                                                              The Olympic Rings                       

Have you ever asked yourself this question? What is most important to you? First I want you to think about the question? Actually I would like for you to be kind of selfish and make this all about you. This means to think outside the box. Here are some things that is what is Important to me? Another way to ask the question might be “what are my life values?” Do an internal exam on your self?


Do I have an Enjoyable Life

Am I Fulfilling my life

Do I feel a Sense of accomplishment

Do I Love my family

Do I Love my friends

Do I have the Respect of and for others

Do I have Self respect

Do I have the sincere gratitude of others that comes from me being of real service

Am I known for my Creativity

Do I live a life of Freedom and Independence

Am I active in my Community

Do I have Authenticity about myself

Do I live a life of Simplicity

Am I known for my Leadership Skills

Is the Growth, development, learning, improvement including in my spirituality important to me

Am I filled with Love and Compassion

                                                                            Compassion

I would want to note that this list of values is not in any order. Some of the things stood out to me, such as the seemingly opposing value of my Freedom and Independence including my participation in Community involvement and I ran for mayor in 09. When I thought about these two values together it became apparent that if I had to choose, I would choose Freedom every time, because with out my freedom I would feel useless. That realization feels very significant to me today. It explains why I enjoy twitter and facebook so much and anyone who knows me knows that I am a true lover of social media; however the fact that I’m a solo-practiced Journalist and Writer it shows when many of you who read my blogs and post, can see that I will not be moved and I am an in your face style of writer and that I’ve made a very clear choice to take a conservative side that reinforces my value of Freedom and Independence each and every day. The other item that stood out was that I only enjoy the gratitude of others when I’ve earned it. Consciously making this list sheds some light on my decision-making process.

                        We Must Have Values

Why Do I Make the Choices I Make & Do the Things I Do? My process for making decisions in my life is distinctively trying not to always be thinking like a Journalist.” It’s not objective. It’s not logical. It’s not always about being “right” or “correct.” It’s emotional, sometimes erratic, often misguided but rarely boring and usually an adventure. I make the choices I make in order to enjoy my life. Help others enjoy their lives by giving others the things and feelings I value such as a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment. Align and connect authentically and lovingly with the people in my life; pass on some of what I’ve learned and receive in return a bit of what life has to offer, even though I am aware of what others get offered to make more money.

                                                                     We Must Make Choices

Looking at this list showed me I can authentically connect only with those who share my core values. This is why I tend not to connect with some people, because they have different core values. It’s important for me to suspend my judgment of other people’s values everyone deserves the freedom to live by their own set of values and I should strive to love them anyway but that doesn’t mean I need to spend a lot of time with them, work for them, or allow them to be clients. I also recognized that what I’m trying to sell/share with others is what I desire from them: connection, friendship, advice, respect, love, care, and support.

                                                                        Support

Lets take this a little deeper, we all love different things in life right? For me it is sports, I play big league Softball, I love Golf, and I have an undying love for College Football, NFL and MLB.  I love sports so much. As journalists, I cut my teeth in this business as a Sports writer, I was on the radio and TV all with Sports shows. I was the founder of CSN (Christian Sports Network) I have played almost every major Golf course in the country, walked the side lines in most of the NCAA College Football and NFL Football Stadiums and have visited every Major League Club house in MLB Baseball.

                                                       I Love College Football

I mean wow? At least for this post, it was significant to me that “money” did show up on my list of what’s important to me, its important to me now. I do not know any happy broke people and I do like having money in my pocket. Now if that makes me bad, then so be it, But I have never seen a very happy homeless person, have you?  I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I’m trying to suspend judgment. Maybe if money was not so high on my list I might have more of it? I don’t know? I’m honestly skeptical that putting money on the list alone in and of itself would be a good idea? But I could not leave it out and be honest with my self as a journalists.  

                                                                   Money Tree

I’d rather money be a measure of gratitude I receive from others for the service I provide. It makes sense to me that the less I do just for the money, the happier I’ll be. So, I’m going to try to reduce the number of tasks I do just for the money and try to attract more work allowing me to work within the more holistic motivations and allow the money to simply be the measure of gratitude. I’ll continue reflecting on these two questions. I hope you take a few minutes to reflect on them as well, and then share your thoughts, however to be very matter of fact, I am guilty of loving my life, and my life does cost a lot of money.

                                                                              Gratitude

So when you are asked the question and I am sure that Genuine Relationships, Good Health, a great Career, Sports, Entertainment, spirituality, and Income all come to mind.  Many of the values you have now are values you learned from your family, and they may change throughout your life. Knowing what is important to you will help you make decisions about your personal life and your career. Your values keep you grounded when life’s temptations try to lure you down the wrong path. For example, a tree has deep roots to remain grounded in severe weather. Your values are your roots to help you weather life’s problems and pressures. A lot of people share common values such as honesty, trust, family, and freedom; however, people also have different values as their interests, talents, and cultural backgrounds vary. Character Values are the universal values that you need to live as a good human being. Personal Values are the things you want out of life. Work Values are the things you want in a job. Our core Values are our make-up as people. Our core values are an integral part of our culture. By learning more about them, you can learn more about what lies at the heart of who you are in America. We can only get better as we learn with;


Transformational change: We seek to expand educational opportunity in ways that are life-changing for children and transforming for our country. Given our deep belief in children and communities, the magnitude of educational inequity and its consequences, and our optimism about the solvability of the problem, we act with high standards, urgency, and a long-term view.


Leadership: We strive to develop and become the leaders necessary to realize educational excellence and equity. We establish bold visions and invest others in working towards them. We work in purposeful, strategic, and resourceful ways, define broadly what is within our control to solve, and learn and improve constantly. We operate with a sense of possibility, persevere in the face of challenges, ensure alignment between our actions and beliefs, and assume personal responsibility for results.


Team: We value and care about each other, operate with a generosity of spirit, and have fun in the process of working together. To maximize our collective impact, we inspire, challenge, and support each other to be our best and sustain our effort.


Diversity: We act on our belief that the movement to ensure educational equity will succeed only if it is diverse in every respect. In particular, we value the perspective and credibility that individuals who share the racial and economic backgrounds of the students with whom we work can bring to our organization, classrooms, and the long-term effort for change.


Respect & Humility: We value the strengths, experiences, and perspectives of others, and we recognize our own limitations. We are committed to partnering effectively with families, schools, and communities to ensure that our work advances the broader good for all children.


So once again, I must ask you. Have you ever asked yourself this question? What is most important to you? ~ Donnie Bolena