Friday, August 3, 2012

Boy how time flies


                                                                  Donnie Bolena                                           
             
Wow, this coming Christmas I turn 48? It seems like it was just yesterday day that I turned my little sister Rhonda lose on my little mini bike in the back yard. At our house on the North-Side of Jacksonville on Drake Ave. She had been begging me for days to let her ride by her self and mom was adamant about not letting her ride by her self, however my little brother Carlton worked as her lawyer and as usual with these two I gave in. Well off she went wide open right into the fence about 30 yards away, she slammed her face into the top rail and walked away with her nose bleeding and both of her eyes were black.

Rhonda was 7 then, Carlton was 5 and I was 11, and Rana had not been born yet. Yep, that was 36 years ago. Growing up in my family was a real experience. Unless you actually know me and my family you would think that all of us are fictional characters from some Mark Twain or Robert Lewis Stevenson novel. My parents are most certainly considered veterans in parenting. Bring the oldest of four children, I was always the family’s lab rat for the both of them, and believe me I gave them every possible test a kid could possibly give his/her parents. As the son of a policeman and a career business women, I did my dead level best to drive them both absolutely crazy.

Little did any of us know that the good Lord touched me with a little bit extra? I was a very hyper kid. I mean it’s actually amazing that I am still breathing. Over the last 36 years my family has seen it all and done it all either with me or through me. On a cool November Friday 13 1981, our dad the Policeman was shot in the line of duty 8 times. Three times in the chest, once in the stomach, and four times in his left arm. Mom had all of us doing what she still does to this day working. We were painting the hall and watching Oprah, all of us were covered in paint, the police Chaplin and another policeman was at the front door and the local news broke in saying our 4 JSO Police men have been involved in a shootout on the Westside behind Forrest High School. All of this was going on at the same time, the good news is he did live and we did get through that trying time.

                                                         Donnie's Mom, Sisters, and Brother
Little did we know that God was only preparing all of us for the future as we would see many more trying times as a family?  Just as we had some rough patches we also had some great minutes. Being the oldest child, I was the one who first made my parents new grand parents and on August 28, 1989 Cherrish Rene’ Bolena. My baby girl entered our awesome family. I remember holding her for the first time, I remember bending down and smelling her, she looked like a china doll; Cherrish has been beautiful from day one. Funny thing is, I named her after my sister Rhonda, and now Rhonda has named one of her new twins after Cherrish.  ‘Lillyann Cherrish’ then I ended up with two more beautiful boys, Chandler and Colton, Rhonda has now had 7 children, my Brother Carlton has three and my Little Sister Rana has 2, we have a another Brother Robbie and he has two as well. So out of all of us kids, our parents are grandparents to 17 grandchildren, 7 dogs, and 3 cats.  

                                                                Cherrish Rene' Bolena
Today I am heading up to visit my Sister Rhonda, and see the newest additions to our family. I am pretty excited as I love my family, even though they stay mad at me. You see, I am very eccentric and I live by my own rules and this dives the rest of my family crazy sometimes. I’m a free spirit, with my own voice and it is a loud voice as many of you may know. I am very passionate about my writing with an in your face type of style of my books and my blogs, and even when I get to speak. I get that from mom, even though she would deny it, mom is and has always been a very in your face style of a mother. My mom lives at the foot of the cross, and so does Rhonda, they are the same person in two different body’s.

                                                        Donnie Sister Rhonda Black Smith
I truly do believe that Jesus calls them before has allows it to rain? I can hear that phone call now “” Ring, Ring, (Mom Answers) Sharon Holt’, ( Jesus Starts Talking) Hey Sharon its Jesus, (mom) Hi Jesus I was just thanking you for all that you have done for me and my family, you are so wonderful and I love you so much. (Jesus) well thank you Sharon and you are most welcome, Hey Sharon the reason for my call is I was thinking about a little Thunderstorm this after noon about 3, is that Ok with you? (Mom) Hum? Well Jesus I have a closing at 3:30 and I have to come back over that Buck-man Bridge and you know how I hate that Bridge, so lets hold off till tonight about 10:30 or so I should be home bedding down and I sleep good when it rains, Love you, Got to go. (Jesus) Ok Sharon will do.  And I am sure that the call with Rhonda would be about the same.
                                                          Our New Arrivals         

Man I do not know what I would do with out my family; I sure would be sad, lost and lonely. I am so glad for the positive influence that my family has on my children. I can remember taking my Kids to school, we had the red jeep, and the muffler had fallen off of it, and it sounded like a loud obnoxious drag race car coming down the street. Well my poor kids all went to the same elementary school, and they inherited the ADD, ADHD, AND ABCDEFG , from yours truly. The single mothers loved me; they thought I was the greatest dad, because I was always at the school, they had no idea I was always in the principles office, however they did not know Chandler the menace, my middle son who is the poster child for middle child syndrome and ADHD.
                                                                    Chandler Bolena
His attention span has to be a world record, hitting at less then 3 seconds on any given conversation. O’ and the Teachers, I can here them now. The Principle can hear us coming from about 3 miles out rolling down Argyle Boulevard, the jeep is hitting about 50 miles an hour and I have to fight the steering wheel just to keep it on the road. Cherrish,  in the front and the boys in the back. Cherrish is ducked down as we near the school, The Principle is on the walkie-talkies in the car line up, “ Code 9, Code 9 The Bolena’s are coming, the Bolena’s are coming, get ready people, take your xanax now! “This is not a drill people; get the riddlin to the car line up now.  As I am pulling in I can see all the teachers taking a xanax and holding the riddlin pill bottle and a cup of water for my kids. The teachers had to take a xanax to be able to deal with me and my kids and they would always say, have a nice day Mr. Bolena, I am sure we will see you later, because Chandler would always have something new every day that they would remember forever.

However, I am very proud of my awesome Children and my entire family; my parents did a great job, and we are beautiful people both inside and out. We are very bonded and very involved in each others lives, even if may not seem that way at times, someone is always watching from afar. Time is so precious and so short; the truth is the years are getting shorter as I get older. I have learned that we change as we grow into adults; we become very set in our ways. Some of us have chips on our shoulders and some of us are like ducks and things just roll right off of us like water, and some of us maybe most of us are somewhere in the middle of the two. I miss being a little kid in growing up at my house, I miss my little brother begging me to play basketball with him in my front yard, that went from letting him beat me, to him spotting me 10 points in 21 just so I would play him. He was a star basketball player in High school and helped lead his team to their first ever district title.

                                                      Donnie and his Brother Carlton Black
I miss my times with Rhonda, she is still my dearest friend in the world she and I hold a natural bond. Rhonda has helped raise my Children, and has been a very big influence on them for the Kingdom of God. I love my siblings very much, I miss my friendship with Carlton, and it seems that we are in different places these days. He too is a lot like mom, and he takes things very personal and hold on to them way to tight. Maybe one day he will realize just how much I love him as he is my little brother and I am very proud of him and his beautiful family, and my little sister Rana is just a jewel. She is loaded with sweetness and she too has been a great helper with me and my children. Rana is always in my corner, I feel like Rana is the sibling who gets me the best sometimes. She is an amazing sister, mother and wife and very, very beautiful both inside and out. This is my family, and boy how time flies.
                                               Donnie and His Beautiful Mom Sharon Holt
I often reminisce of growing up in my home; we are most certainly resilient and battle tested. Sometime when I am traveling or I have had time to just slow down and think, I catch my self remembering back to being a little boy. I miss that little guy you know, I miss that life. I was always full of life as a kid, and I am now. But it’s just different, because my past has a lot of sadness and failures in also. So If I can encourage you to get something from this blog of Friday, August 03, 2012. I want you to remember the good times with your family, take a minute and think back, look at where you are today and ask yourself, how did I get her? I will say this, time has flown by, and it has most certainly been a mighty bumpy ride, but with the life lessons, the heartache, the hardship, the laughter, the good times, the pain, the feel good moments, the hugs, and the kisses, I would say that it has been a great ride, we must remember that when the storm clouds gather is when we hold our heads high and walk our side and give our best waltz, in the pouring down rain and we keep smiling through the pain, laughing through the heartache, and crying when were happy. Time will not slow down, however we will, and with time things will heal, and things will change. So hold the ones dear to you close, and if you are mad at each other, well then be the bigger person and make it right, apologize and ask for forgiveness Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Make things right before it’s to late, because when it’s all said and done, we all will one day, run out of time ~ Donnie Bolena